On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 13:30:34 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: FEAST 5 August
>
>  However, I have not noticed
> > any male saints referred to as "virgin" and surely some of them
> > qualified.  Does anyone have any insights other than the obvious one
> > that females were defined in terms of their social usefulness as breeders?
> >

> What about St Alexis, whose vita was included in the psalter made (or
> adapted) for Christina of Markyate as an example to her (i.e. the St
> Albans Psalter)?  (I couldn't find him in Butler)
> Cheers,
> Jim Bugslag

We discussed this issue a few years ago.  There have been male saints
known for their virginity, but the calendars & "commons" of saints tend to
emphasize certain things.  Female saints are most commonly classed by
reference to virginity, and many male saints are classified by roles
played (e.g., apostle).  More recently the recogniition of Theresa of
Avila & Catherine of Siena (if memory serves) as doctors of the Church has
undermined this distinction.  Of course both sexes can be honored for
their sufferings for the faith, being known as martyrs or confessors.

Tom Izbicki