Many thanks for the detailed comments on reliquaries - do you have
a reading list on this subject, by any chance?
With regard to impassivity, an interesting aside is provided by the
life of Anthony where, if I remember correctly, we are told that
after spending decades out in the desert living on dried bread
and water (and fighting demons on a regular basis) Anthony
emerged looking like a handsome young man of 30 or so - something
I do not recall ever being reflected in depictions of him!
Meg

> Well, I'd be interested to know if this is a religious attribute of
> saintliness.  I think, myself, that it is an artistic one, going back
> ultimately to the idea of Idealisation - which requires an expressionless
> face at all times (to avoid the uglifying distortion that necessarily ensues
> from expressions) and absolute self-control in all circumstances.  Hence,
> note, Christ on the cross in the contrapposto stance.  Was Agatha in the
> contrapposto in your image?  Nudity, or near nudity is also an essential
> part of the depiction of Idealisation, which would suit both Agatha and
> Christ.

> I codified the artistic Idealisation, its meaning and context for my
> students.  You can find it on my web page if you click on "Course
> Materials", "past courses", Spring 1999 Art 151, "terms and concepts" -
> scroll down a little to find Classical Beauty and Idealisation (to be
> updated and transferred to top page soon).  We have to beware of seeing
> these images as pure illustration.  They are also commentaries, with their
> own detailed language.

> Pippin Michelli, Ph.D
> Assistant Professor of Art History, St Olaf College
> http://www.stolaf.edu/people/michelli/index4.html

Margaret Cormack			[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion	fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston			tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001