At 1:21 pm +0100 21/7/99, Lorcan Dempsey wrote:
>I think the practice of looking for reviewers by general email request
>slightly strange as I have assumed that a part of the 'value' of the
>reviewing process is the editorial conjunction of item and relevant
>reviewer.
>
>Whenever I see such a message, on whatever list, my response is usually to
>think of books I would like to get around to read or own or review.
>Furthermore, I tend to think that it would be nice to have a list on which
>book review editors lurk and to which potential reviewers could send wish
>lists for consideration.

May I follow your interesting observation with a possibly more impertinent
thought.  Perhaps someone could do some small scale research to assess what
numbers, and what proportion of the print run (for professional LIS books),
is 'mortgaged' for review copies.  Apart from its significance for the
economics of tradtional book publishing, there are extra questions about
how this evaluation (and promotion) function will be covered (or avoided)
with books, etc. in electronic format.

John Sumsion - Senior Fellow,  Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University,   Loughborough, Leics. LE11 3TU,  (UK).  Tel  +44
(0) 1509  223060/223052.  Fax: 223053.
HOME ADDRESS (preferred): The Granary,  29 Main Street,  Rotherby,  Melton
Mowbray,  Leics.  LE14 2LP.  Tel: +44 (0) 1664 434485.  Fax:  434918
[same e-mail]