Dear Anindya Mukherji,

Knowledge based software or a knowledge based system (KBS) is
essentially an 'expert system'

The conventional view of a program is: PROGRAM = ALGORITHM + DATA
This view does not recognize that the algorithm has two components:
knowledge and control.

Alternatively, in the KBS paradigm (sorry Dilbert): PROGRAM = KNOWLEDGE
+ CONTROL + DATA
In a KBS, the knowledge is made explicit, rather than being implicitly
mixed in with the algorithm.

So in a KNOWLEDGE-BASED SOFTWARE SYSTEM FOR GEOLOGICAL STRUCTURE
ANALYSIS package geological expertise is built into the software
allowing it to interpret the data from a structural geological
viewpoint.

You will have to look at the specifications of the individual software
packages themselves to see what they can DO:-)

yours

Rob Mc

--
Dr Robert D. McDonnell HPT Lab., Faculty of Earth Sciences, Utrecht
University.