This list has been getting way ahead of me and I am making no attempt to
keep up with the various debates, but one did catch my eye. That of Johnson
Cheu who said (in part): "......if we are no closer to understanding these
"hot button" issues, then  why have the discussion at all?" is because they
never go away. As soon as one generation comes to an understanding and
resolution, a new generation comes along that requires us to go backwards,
yet again, to discuss and debate.

In the Deaf UK listserv there has been a flurry of discussion and debate
about oralism and cochlear implants and other assistive listening devices.
To me, they are nothing new. But when you discover the ages of some of the
people raising these issues - teenagers and youngsters - you soon discover
that it has all come around yet again.

There is no real resolution. Those who believe in "disability" (Deafness) as
a medical problem, are still very much in evidence. It's no good saying it's
the older generation, the old way of thinking. That's crap. The influence is
still very strong. You must remember we live in a  world that is constructed
around the five senses, with mobility and intellect
(unimpaired). Which seems to say, if you deviate from this model, woe betide
you.

If you take a quick look at history, it's all about the movement of people,
it's all about us vs them, it's all about those who would rule vs those who
would be ruled, it's all about ideas battling for supremacy, the strong vs
the weak (or should I say violence/ force vs the pacifist). At least that's
my reading of history. There are people who write in to Deaf UK bemoaning
that they don't understand why these arguments take place. If only they
would do a little investigating into the history of deafness it might throw
a little light.

The deaf community (and deaf people) continue to be rent by the medical vs
the social model and the twain never meet. That is why the issues and
arguments go around and around and around.

At times I despair of humanity, and wish that it would just follow the pied
piper of Hamilton and into the sea and just drown. It would be cathartic
alright, but it wouldn't resolve anything. :-)

Tony

The Deaf & Hearing Arts List - Join Talk,Sign &Create
at - http://www.eGroups.com/list/talksigncreate/

Staying in San Francisco?
Your Bed & Breakfast Host, Doreen Bermudez, welcomes you with open arms.
Phone on: (415) 285 7419
Write to: 3877 Army Street (Cesar Chavez) San Francisco, CA 94131, USA
Email: [log in to unmask]

Brought to you by
Deaf Man, SIGN! Productions>