To be a bit more precise, I think it means "takes/took/will have taken the
habit," or "exchanged the garment [of a warrior for that of a religious],"
i.e., entered a monastery or religious order.  Tenure of land could
necessarily extend  (as the excerpt from pl 32 states) only until the
tenant dies or "takes the habit," at which point, because of the vow of
poverty, he (or she) would have to relinquish the rights of tenure to an
heir or to the person from whom the person holds the land, just as if he or
she had died.  I presume the excerpt from p. 81 narrates that on the day
that Roger took the habit, he held the whole territory of etc. (but had to
relinquish it), but better translation would require more context.

Patrick Nugent.

>I believe the reference is to religious conversion.   -Willis

Patrick J. Nugent
Drawer 104
Earlham College
Richmond, Indiana 47374 USA