Interesting analogy but HIV/AIDS is not an essential element in defining
oneself as queer.  The identity of qyr still exists with or without AIDS.
I do take the point though and appreciate the analogies that can be drawn.
Keep talking everyone.

At 07:51 AM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>The titles escape me at 7:30 am, but it occurs to me that queer theory
>might be of use here-- how prevention or curing of the illness AIDS and all
>complications that arise from it, --does not also mean the erasure of queer
>identity or of advocating for gay rights.  Now before someone gets all
>huffy about sexuality itself (those who've been on the list for a while
>will remember contentious debates there), I am merely suggesting that one
>could look at queer theory for how it has dealt with a similar issue, at
>least in theory.  Marian, anything from the Deaf/deaf perspective which
>might be of use here?  (Can we tell I'm working on my dissertation
>prospectus?)
>
>--Johnson
>
> >To all
>>

>>I have been reading the postings and have a few questions and a few
>>offerings of my own, you must excuse the philosophical nature of my
>>enquiries.
>>

>>Is disability social oppression or bodiliy difference?
>>Is it both or do I have to fall on either side of the oppression/difference
>>dualism. Personally I see it as both simulateously.Yet very little studies
>>seem to be done on the body as a thing-in-itself, except a socio-political
>>construct.  Why is this, it is possible to look at the body in a non-medical
>>but also with less emphasis placed on the social.
>>
>>A statement such as "Preventing disability is a good thing" and "inclusion
>>is a good thing" are not contradictory, one can wish that no more
>>disablility be no more and yet want disabled people to be included.  It is
>>not contradictory to me but complementory.  However, I am undecided on the
>>prevention issue, when does family guidance become aggressive social
>>eugenics?  But perhaps that is too strong.
>>
>>Excuse the fragmentory nature of this posting.
>>
>>Michael

>Johnson Cheu
>http://people.english.ohio-state.edu/cheu.1
>Dept. of English*Ohio State University*421 Denney Hall*164 W. 17th.
>Ave.*Columbus, OH 43210*(614) 292-1730 (O)*292-6065(D)*292-7816(Fax)

With best regards

Laurence Bathurst
University of Sydney
School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences
Faculty of Health Sciences
East Street (P.O. Box 170)
Lidcombe NSW  1825
Australia

Ph+  61 2 9351 9509
Fax+ 61 2 9351 9166
E-mail [log in to unmask]

Note: This is the e-mail address for my home as well

There is not one shred of evidence that supports the notion that life is
serious.