Dear Otfried,
I'm sure I am not alone on this list either in being able to
sympathize very directly with your employment predicament or in
wondering at the state of an academic environment that would put such
an erudite and generous scholar in it in the first place.  Publishing
is not a bad place to be, academically, but please don't give up
trying to get a teaching post.  You have "educated" so many
"professionals" on this list, that I can't help but think of how
fortunate students would be to be taught by you.  Heidelberg is
indeed a lovely city, and I hope you and your family enjoy it
greatly.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag