Can anyone recommend some
>>sources for late antique/early medieval beliefs about Virtue?  I'm
>>afraid I'm not quite sure where to go for this.
>
>I'll have a think.  Bill.

Having thunk, briefly:  you need to look particularly at the cult of relics,
which is of considerable prominence in the period you mention.  Start with
the article "Relics" in the new edition of the Oxford Dictionary of the
Christian church (what do you mean, you haven't yet bought the third
edition?)  It has a useful bibliography.  It also mentions the healing power
of handkerchieves that had been in contact with St Paul's body (Acts 19:12)
which I don't think I mentioned in my discussion but which is as clear an
example as you could wish of the notion of 'Virtue'.

The Supple Doctor.