Today, 2 April, is the feast of ...

* Apphianus and Theodosia, martyrs (306) - After withstanding numerous
tortures, Apphianus was thrown into the sea whereupon the sea was shaken
by an earthquake, and though the saint's feet were weighted down by
heavy stones, his body was cast up on the shore.

* Mary of Egypt, penitent, and Zosimus, monk (fifth century?)
- platonic friends - Zosimus found Mary in the desert dead with the
following words traced in the sand next to her body: "Father Zosimus
bury the body of the lowly Mary. Render earth to earth and pray for me.
I died the night of the Lord's Passion, after receiving the divine and
mystic Banquet." The monk had no spade but a lion from the desert came
to his assistance and with its claws helped him dig Mary's grave.

* Nicetius or Nizier, bishop of Lyon (537) - Great-uncle to Gregory of
Tours. A determined opponent of loose and uncharitable speech, which he
denounced on every possible occasion. He became famous for exorcising
unclean spirits; revived and improved ecclesiastical chant in his
diocese.

* Francis of Paola, founder, order of Minims (1507) - In addition to the
three usual monastic vows, he imposed upon the Minims a fourth vow -
perpetual fasting with abstinence not only from meat but from eggs and
anything made with milk. (Any other vegan like Orders? I know that the
Cathars were vegans with the exception of the consumption of fish which
they believed was the product of water and not coition.) To avoid 'minim
confusion', let me explain the name of the Order. At first they were
called the Hermits of St Francis of Assisi, and it was not until 1492
that their name was changed to that of 'Minims' at the desire of the
founder, who wished his followers to be reckoned as the least (minimi)
in the household of God.

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK
phone: +44(0)117-928-8168