FYI Tom Izbicki
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Dear colleagues,

We are happy to announce that two sessions at the 34th International
Medieval Conference at Kalamazoo will be devoted to the memory of Stephan
Kuttner (1907-1996).

Stephan Kuttner's dedicated work in the history of medieval canon law
fundamentally redefined and renewed this field. He accomplished this not
only through his own research, but also through enthusing, inspiring, and
assisting other scholars, particularly through the Institute of Medieval
Canon Law, which he founded in 1955. Through his many publications and his
personal attention, he opened the eyes of scholars in all disciplines of
medieval studies to the rich world of medieval canon law and its potential
for understanding the history of the medieval Church and the society in
which that institution functioned.

The sessions will pay hommage to Stephan Kuttner in two ways. Three papers
will address his life and work, without aiming at biographical
completeness. Three papers will discuss subjects in which Stephan Kuttner
would have been interested. These papers will demonstrate how his heritage
lives on, now in the second and third generation of scholars.

We plan further sections on medieval law for the Kalamazoo conference in
2000, and we welcome paper proposals. Tentatively, we plan sessions on
"nuns and canon law" and on "early medieval canon law" (to mark the
publication of the first volumes of the History of Medieval Canon Law).
There will perhaps also be an open session.

Further information and updates are available at our website:
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~haw6/zoo99. For information about the Kalamazoo
conference, go to their website:
http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/index.html.

Please spread this information to interested colleagues and students.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Kalamazoo.

Best wishes,

Tom Izbicki		Anders Winroth
[log in to unmask]		[log in to unmask]

********

**Two Sessions In Memoriam Stephan Kuttner**

Saturday, 8 May, 10:00 A.M.-11:30 A.M.
Session 306
Valley III 308

Stephan Kuttner and Medieval Canon Law I

Sponsor: The Stephan Kuttner Institute of Medieval Canon Law
Organizer: Thomas M. Izbicki, Johns Hopkins Univ., and Anders
Winroth, Yale Univ.

Presider: Anders Winroth

Stephan Kuttner's Youth and Intellectual Development
Peter Landau, Univ. of Munich

Stephan Kuttner at Yale
Robert Somerville, Columbia Univ.

The Role of Scripture in Prefaces to Canon Law Collections, 1075_1150
Kaaren Sorensen, Columbia Univ.

Saturday, 8 May, 1:30 p.m - 3:00 p.m.
Session 361
Valley III 308

Stephan Kuttner and Medieval Canon Law II

Sponsor: The Stephan Kuttner Institute of Medieval Canon Law
Organizer: Thomas M. Izbicki, Johns Hopkins Univ., and Anders
Winroth, Yale Univ.

Presider: Katherine Christensen, Berea College

Stephan Kuttner at Berkeley
Kenneth Pennington, Syracuse Univ.

Law and Gospel in Pre-Gratian Collections
Bruce C. Brasington, West Texas A&M Univ.

Abortion in the Later Middle Ages: Principles of Guilt and Their
Applications by Secular Judges
Wolfgang Mueller, Univ. of Kansas