MVN,

Thursday,  Thursday,  April  29, 1999, MVN wrote among other
things:

>        Among the many examples of this phenomenon that I can think of are
>1) the almost psychotic inability of North American prehistorians to accept
>any of the evidence from Latin America for pre-Clovis occupations, and 2)
>the evident inability of most North American processualists and
>neo-evolutionists to accept that migrations have had any meaningful impact
>on prehistory.

This kind of thinking and its rampant over-generalization is
what gives post-processualist thinking a bad name. Not all
of us North American prehistorians are unable to accept
pre-Clovis occupation as a reasonable idea, nor were we ever
unanimous that Clovis was the first occupation. Many simply
thought, and still think, that it is far too early in our
understanding of continental prehistory to draw conclusions
about "oldest" anything. Here in California for instance,
our ideas about the anitquity of acorn economies are changing
drastically. Papers read at the recent SCA meetings more
than doubled the known antiquity of acorn processing. But
they were based on solid evidence.

Until Monte Verde there was no truly unequivocal evidence
for a pre-Clovis cultural horizon even though many of us
argued that it was a logical necessity. I recognize some of
the reported finds by the French in Brazil, and there are
important sites in other parts of S. America that looked
very promising even before Monte Verde, just as there were
sites in N. America that looked promising before Folsom, New
Mexico. Merely because something is reasonable does not
necessarily advance it to the level of a proven "fact."

The emphasis by neo-evolutionists of social change by
processes other than replacement (migration) is a means of
widening the discussion about process. Migration does not
explain much of anything, any more than diffusion. Why does
a society migrate? Why does a society accept the diffusion
of some material and social culture but not others? Are
there archaeologically discernible correlates that can help
model such processes as migration and diffusion? Prior to
the processualist shift almost all models of prehistoric
social change focused around migration ideas. Their
proponents were at least as opposed to "processualist" ideas
as you seem to think processualists are to "popro" thought.
I doubt that any North American prehistorian would ever
discount the significance of migrations to prehistory. If
they weren't important there would BE no North or South
American prehistory. On the other hand, the vast variety of
American Indian languages can't simply be explained by
migration  either,  or  diffusion,  replacement or any other
simple model.

The real reason processualists tend to discount
post-processualist arguments is the "popro" tendency to
emphasize "critique" over substance.

JWDougherty                        mailto:[log in to unmask]