Dear Russ,

>A recent paper by Kastrup et al. (abstract attached below) found that
>the absolute size of the fMRI response to visual stimulation did not
>vary with global blood flow .  This seems to suggest that one should use
>additive scaling rather than proportional scaling or ANCOVA to get rid
>of global effects in fMRI.  Any impressions about this?

Thanks a lot for pointing out the attached abstract.
With regard to your question I must admit that I am slightly confused. The
ANCOVA model does assume independence between magnitude of gobal CBF and
magnitude of rCBF change (and consequently a negative correlation between
percentage rCBF change and global CBF), as opposed to proportional scaling
which assume independence between percentage rCBF change and global CBF.
The attached abstract would therefore to the best of my understanding be
consistent with the ANCOVA model.
Also I am not really sure what you mean by additive scaling.

				best regards Jesper