Dear Kai

I can answer only question 1.  SPM for windows uses for most numerical
calculation Numerical Recipes algorithms. In particular for calculation of
pseudo inverse matrix it uses algorithm for singular value decomposition
(SVD). The message you mentioned means that Numerical Recipes algorithm for
SVD fails. In general this means that matrix for which attempt to calculate
SVD fails is very ill conditioned.

Sergey Pakhomov