Hi Jack,

it's perfectly fine to test interaction using a T, it's
just that if you have more than 2 levels to a factor, the
overall effect is an F. I think the usual way of doing
analysis of variance is to first look for an overall effects,
and if this one is significant, use post-hoc T tests.
(see an analysis of variance table ...this is especially
true if there are a lot of levels in a factor eg > 3)
This raises the problem of doing a lot of t tests without
any correction for that, so it's worth doing the F first ...

the very best
JB