Hi,

I have been recently trying to analysis multi-slice
fMRI data using SPM96, and I was just wondering if my
procedure has been correct.

I have 5 adjacent slices which I first combine into
volumes. Then, within SPM96, I realign and smooth the
data but I don't normalise it (the slices I acquire
are at an angle and so I cannot give an accurate
origin for any normalisation). I model the data on a
simple box-car function with no global normalisation.
Is this sufficient analysis for such data??

Also, I have been attempting to overlay any activation
I obtain on the subject's relevant anatomical slices
(which have also been previously combined into a
volume) using the 'slices' option. A problem which has
arose for every dataset is that, when I do this, I
only appear to have four anatomical slices regardless
of whether there is activation or not. I'm not sure
about the fifth slice and I was wondering if someone
could explain why this has been happening. The 5
slices I acquire (both the anatomical and the
functional) have a 0.5mm gap in-between. Is this the
problem or is something inherent happening when I
reslice the data to remove the final slice??

Thanks in advance,
Carol.
carol docherty