I have developed a modified version of the SPM99b interface (spm_spm_ui.m) for
specifying the design and image file locations in a PET study.

This automates the stages, after design type selection, of specifying group,
subject, condition, replicate and covariate information by preparing a text
file in advance and then telling SPM99b to read from this file. If you create
a design in the standard point-click-type interface, a re-usable text file is
created in the requisite format.

I have found this facility useful for running multiple 'what if' analyses -
seeing what the effect is of dropping a subject, or a condition, or adding an
extra covariate, etc. etc., at the cost of a few edits to a text file.

An equivalent version for the SPM99b interface (spm_spm_fmri_ui.m) for fMRI
time series studies is under development.

With luck the planned upgrade to SPM99 will incorporate equivalent features.
However, in the mean time, you may find this a useful time saving and accuracy
enhancing addition.

Documentation is in

ftp://ftp.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/pub/imaging/matthew.brett/Csv/details.txt

Replacement spm_spm_ui.m is in

ftp://ftp.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/pub/imaging/matthew.brett/Csv/spm_spm_ui.m

Put this 'cbuhacked' spm_spm_ui.m matlab code in a directory which is earlier
in the matlab path than the official spm99b distributed version.

Let me know if you have any problems or comments.

Ian
---
Ian Nimmo-Smith
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit