Dear Mark,

> I am trying to put a covariate into an SPM analysis.  The covariate is
> based on visual analogue scales, and I suspect that different subjects
> have used different levels on the VAS to mean the same degree of the
> variable I am trying to measure.  I therefore wonder if I shouldn't be
> using "specific fit" for this covariate.  Is this a reasonable thing to
> do?

Very reasonable (and more comprehensive than simply mean correcting the
subject-specific VAS scores before entering them as a single
covariate).

> Secondly when I put the covariate in as "specific fit" it then asks for
> 11 items in each contrast vector.  (I assume because I have 11
> subjects).  I entered 2 contrasts, 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 and -1 -1 -1
> -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1, again is this reasonable?

Yes it is. These contrasts will give you the average regression slopes
over subjects.  Note you can also test for differences among subjects
(i.e. subject x VAS interactions) with the appropriate contrasts using
this model.

Bets wishes - Karl