Correction to previous message (full text below). The following statement should have included the words 'some of' as follows:

"Let us put the proposition that 'personal data' is the entire set of data held by the data controller which 'relates' to the individual concerned, even though some of it does not aid identification of the individual."

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:  Re: Exam scripts - Personal Data Exempt - Marks Not
Date:  Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:48:44 +0100
From:  [log in to unmask]
To:  "Street, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
CC:  [log in to unmask]
BCC:  [log in to unmask]

Please do highlight the FOI amendments concerned.  If unstructured data is covered there is a related issue.  Also, what 'personal data' includes will remain relevant to others.

The flaw in the argument regarding comments on scripts must lie in trying to separate the data that 'relates' to an individual into;-

The issue of separating discrete items of data from the data set arose because the DPA 98 expressly exempts 'information recorded by candidates during .... an examination' from the subject access provisions of section 7.  This gave rise to a distinction between comments made by an examiner and other data, whether exempt or not falling within the 'personal data' definition.

Instead of breaking up the data into discrete elements of 'personal' and other 'data', let us do the opposite.

Let us put the proposition that 'personal data' is the entire set of data held by the data controller which 'relates' to the individual concerned, even though it does not aid identification of the individual.

This begs another question.  What criteria should be used to decide what limit is to be put on the set of data which 'relates' to the individual under the DPA 98.  Is there no limit?

A judge may well take a pragmatic view on a case by case basis, but a data controller has to plan for all potential cases.

For example, the following may be items on a database: '51 No Through Road, Oldham is a magnificent road' and 'Fred Jones, 51 No Through Road, Oldham'.  Is the first statement to be considered part of the data set which relates to 'Fred Jones'?

"Street, Terry" wrote:

I note that in the current FOI bill all public bodies have the coverage of
Data Protection extended to "unstructured" data too.
(unstructured = not forming part of a set of structured information)
I'm not sure if universities are treated as public bodies for this piece of
legislation but if so it might make some of this debate academic.

I can highlight FOI amendments if you need details.

Terry Street
Terry Street  Acting ALM Coventry
Strategic Support Manager, Siemens Business Services Coventry, 2nd Floor
Waters Court, Salt Lane, Coventry, CV1 2GX
note these new codes (024) and numbers 76xx xxxx become fully effective from
April 2000 in the interim you need to dial the full code even if making a
local call.
Tel.     024  76 831160   Mobile 0385 916060   fax.     024 76 831050
home 024 76 417574                Email [log in to unmask]
This message contains information which is confidential and may also be
privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s.  If you are not
the addressee, please note that any distribution, copying or use of this
message and the information is prohibited. If you receive this communication
in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately.
The information on costs and charges is provided for indicative purposes
only and does not constitute an offer capable of acceptance. The views
expressed are those of the Author and do not represent the Company.

Clifford G. Miller
CLIFFORD MILLER
Coborn House
Coborn Road