IMPERIAL COLLEGE STATISTICS SECTION SEMINARS

This week's seminar will be held on Friday 3rd December at 2pm in Room 140
of the Huxley Building on the South Kensington campus. All are welcome.

Marginal Maximum A Posteriori Parameter Estimation using MCMC

Arnaud Doucet (Cambridge University)

Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) methods, while facilitating the solution
of many complex problems in Bayesian inference, are not currently well
adapted to the problem of marginal maximum a posteriori (MMAP)
estimation -the estimation of the maximum a posteriori parameters of a
marginal distribution-, especially when the number of parameters is large.
Indeed, it usually involves solving a complex joint
integration/optimization problem. We present here a simple and novel
Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) strategy, called State-Augmentation for
Marginal Estimation (SAME), which leads to MMAP estimates for Bayesian
models. We illustrate the simplicity and utility of the approach for
missing data problems including Hidden Markov models and blind
deconvolution of impulsive processes. Some global convergence results are
presented.