Date: Friday, 19th November 1999

Time: 3.15

Room: Lecture Theatre C, James Clerk Maxwell Building, King's Buildings

Speaker: Chris Glasbey (Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland,
Edinburgh)

Title: Time series models for weather data

Abstract: The modelling of weather data poses many interesting
challenges
for statisticians.  For example, what time series models are appropriate
for rainfall and solar radiation, which have marginal distributions that
are highly non-Gaussian? In this talk, we take radically different
approaches for the two variables.  By applying a monotonic
transformation to rainfall data, marginal normality is achieved.  This
defines a latent Gaussian variable, with zero rainfall corresponding to
censored values below a threshold.  For solar radiation data, a new form
of nonlinear autoregressive times series is proposed, by specifying
joint marginal distributions at low lags to be multivariate Gaussian
mixtures.  The model is also a special case of multiprocess dynamic
linear models.  For both models, we consider issues of estimation and
usage.