I am a biologist, considering whether or not it is correct to carry out a
Bonferonni procedure on my data, and would be very grateful for any advice.

>From DNA analysis I have measured the extent of genetic differentiation
between pairs of populations
of my study animal.  Therefore I have a half matrix of values.  The
significance of these were calculated using a permutation procedure, using
a well established method (using a custom written software package).  I
have 36 values, some of which are significant at the 0.001 level, some at
0.01, some at 0.05 and some not significant.  The question is: should I
carry out a Bonferroni Procedure, dividing the critical values by 36.  If i
do that very few are significant.  From the literature some people seem to
look at the number of  values which you would expect to be significant by
chance (eg. 5%) at the 0.05 level, (and then if there are >5% this is used
to discount a type 1 error in all cases), while others carry out a
Bonferonni correction.  However in a theoretical situation, if I had all 36
pairwise comparisons yielding significant values (P<0.01) and then adjust
my critical value of 0.01 by dividing by 36, I get no significant results.
Is this a type 2 error, or not?.  I'd like to hear from anyone who can put
me right on this!

Thanks,

Steve Rossiter
-----