For some time my bed time reading has been the Blackstone's Guide to the
Human Rights Act 1998 (HRA) which I have been using to try to inform my
thinking, for want of a better word, on the impact of the HRA on both the
practice of clinical chemistry and on the disciplinary arrangements of a
small learned society of which I am the Honorary Secretary.

The main thrust of the HRA is to incorporate the provisions of the European
Convention on Human Rights into British Law. Probably this won't have much
effect on the practice of clinical chemistry although it may have some
effects on our purchasers and the priorities they give to certain clinical
services, in particular, fertility services.

What did strike me is the likely impact of Article  11, which grants the
right to Freedom of Assembly and  Association on the current regulations of
the Council for the Registration Scientists in Health Care. Currently,
persons otherwise qualified to register with this body, who are registered
with other registration bodies are excluded. The uncharitable might think
that the intention of this regulation is to keep the increasing cadre of
very well qualified MLSOs out (to say nothing of the medics).

I strongly suspect that once the HRA comes into full effect this regulation
could be subject to successful challenge by any scientist who fulfilled the
qualifications for registration but was excluded simply because he or she
was registered with another registration body.

 A R W Forrest LLM, FRCP, FRCPath,
Professor of Forensic Toxicology
University Dept of Forensic Pathology
Medico-legal Centre