Here's one more vote against the practice of factoring results of a "new"
assay to attempt to make them "agree" with the results from the assay being
replaced.  In addition to the reasons already given by others, I'll add
anoher practical consideration.  If you introduce a "correction factor" into
your chemistry analyzer or computer system, then you must always remember to
"unfactor"  your results for your proficiency testing samples (I believe
they are called external quality assessment samples in the U.K.) before you
report these results.  Eventually, you will forget to do this and your
results will be flagged as "unacceptable".  Since proficiency testing is
used by regulatory and accreditation agencies in the U.S. (right or wrong)
to penalize laboratories who "fail", this is an important consideration on
this side of the pond.

We implemented the Vitros (then the Ektachem) test for LDH about ten years
ago in our laboratory.  The results were 2.5 to 3 times those obtained with
our old assay (lactate to pyruvate at  30 degrees C).  We notified our
clinicians of the change in methodology and the new reference interval via
our laboratory newsletter and a temporary header on our lab reports.
Nevertheless, we still received some phone calls for a short time after the
change was implemented and there was the inevitable wailing and gnashing of
teeth from the usual suspects (who never read what we send them and then
claim they were never notified).  But things settled down after a few weeks
and I daresay nobody received an adverse clinical intervention for an
"elevated" LDH!!

The impact of such a change in reference range for LDH should be minor
relative to that involved with the switch to SI units.  My understanding is
that the clinicians in Canada and the U.K. survived this major change
admirably!  [Hope I haven't started an international incident with this last
comment!!]

Finally, I must say that I have enjoyed monitoring (and occasionally
contributing to) this discussion group over the past 1+ years.  The quality
of the contributions and the discussion is consistently very high and I
particularly enjoy the case discussions prepared by Dr. Challand.  Great
job!

Sal Sena

Salvador F. Sena, Ph.D., DABCC
Associate Director, Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Danbury Hospital
Danbury, CT 06810
Tel 203-797-7705
Fax 203-731-8678