We recently had an elderly patient admitted to hospital in a moribund
state. The patient was admitted to ITU and the SpR made a clinical
diagnosis of Myxoedema Coma. The patient was on Carbimazole for
'thyrotoxicosis'. I was asked for urgent TFTs. As a provisional clinical
diagnosis has already been made and treament initiated, I could not see
the merit of urgent TFT. They were done the day after and confirmed
hypothyroidism. Sometimes it is difficult to know the right approach to
these situations. Such requests are likely to be infrequent and if, in
my own view, a valid result could be provided with no major extra effort
then they should be done. After all it is usually possible to accomodate
such request if this was 'during normal working hours' without too much
trouble. The important thing is, of course, that treatment should not be
withheld pending the laborataory results being available. After all TFTs
where not as easily available in the days when Richard Asher described
the condition.
Ahmed Waise FRCP FRCPath
Cosultant Chemcial Pathologist
Friarage hospital,