Today, 23 December, is the feast of ...

* Theodulus, Saturninus and others, martyrs in Crete (c. 250)

* Victoria, virgin and martyr (253)
- following the exhortations of her friend St Anatolia, she refused to
marry a pagan

* Migdonius, Mardonius, and others, martyrs at Nicomedia (303)

* Servulus, confessor (590)
- a beggar afflicted with palsy from infancy, he lived in the porch of
St Clement's church in Rome, where he would preach to passers-by; when
people gathered around him at his death bed and sang hymns, he sang
along with them until he said, 'Be quiet now, I hear sweet music from
heaven!', at which point he died

* Mazota or Mayota, virgin (seventh century)
- a contemporary of St Columba, she lived in a church at Abernethy,
where the Irish king and all his family were baptized

* Ivo, confessor (1115)
- bishop of Chartres, and great canonist

* Thorlac, confessor (1193)
- apparently, the remains of his body in Skalholt cathedral show his
skeleton to be normal except for the skull; according to Baring-Gould,
this is in fact a coconut

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK
phone: +44(0)117-928-8168