>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 Bill East <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snipped>
>dare I confess to a preference for the BCP translation over
>the one commonly used by Catholics for this purpose?  'Pour forth, we
>beseech you, O Lord, your grace into our hearts, that we to whom the
>incarnation of Christ, your Son, was made known by the message of an
angel,
>may by his passion and cross, be brought to the glory of his
resurrection .
>. .'  Grammar too convoluted, it seems to me, too many commas, too many
'we
>to whoms'.

Agree wholeheartedly. In whatever form, this collect may have been the
most widely known liturgical text other than the Pater, Ave and Gloria.
Although Duffy touches on this question in his masterly book, are there
studies examining how widely any of these texts studied so carefully by
scholars today were known and understood --a dangerous word to use!-- by
those from whom they were originally intended, clergy well as laity? (As
I recall, Duffy argues well that the general understanding of doctrine
and practice was higher than is commonly supposed. But he argues mostly
from elements of popular devotion and practice.)