Today, 11 December, is the feast of ...

* Damasus, pope (384)
- his epitaph, in the cemetery of St Callistus, reads: I,
Damasus, wished to be buried here, but I feared to offend
the ashes of these holy ones

* Barsabas, martyr (?)
- an abbot, he was beheaded in Persia, along with his
twelve monks

* Fuscian, Victoricus, and Gentian, martyrs (?)
- Roman missionaries in Gaul, the first two were seen to
walk away from the site of their execution, carrying their
heads in their hands

* Daniel the Stylite (493)
- one of the greatest pillar-saints, he was buried at the
foot of the pillar he had lived upon for 33 years

* Pietro Pettinaio, or Pietro Tecelano (1289)
- a comb-maker by trade, he joined the third order of St
Francis; so noted for the efficacy of his prayers that
people believe him to be the Pier Pettinagno who Dante
refers to in *Purgatorio* 13, 128

* Franco da Grotti (1291)
- lived a debauched life in Siena, but converted by a
vision when he was 65 years old; became a Carmelite lay-
brother

* Ugolino Magalotti (1373)
- a Franciscan tertiary and hermit

* Girolamo Ranuzzi (1455)
- Servite priest, who after education in Bologna spent much
time in and around Urbino, where he was known to Federico
da Montefeltro, the duke of Urbino

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK
phone: +44(0)117-928-8168