On 18 Sep 1998, Christopher Crockett wrote: [...]

> But maybe someone on this list has an answer to a simple
> question that's bugged the hell out of me in twenty years
> in the book bidness:
>
> WHERE _*DID*_ ALL THE VULGATES GO??? [...]

As a sometime librarian, I find Christopher's question a poignant one.
Daniel Boorstin, former librarian of Congress, wrote an intriguing essay
somewhere about how the most common books become the rarest. As I recall,
one of his examples was about biographies of Abraham Lincoln. The
multi-volume biographies are available in American libraries everywhere,
often in pristine condition, precisely because almost no-one read them,
but of the immensely popular mass-market booklets which actually shaped
the traditional image of Lincoln after his death hardly a trace remains.

Something similar has certainly happened to liturgical and other religious
books. The Liber usualis, once ubiquitous, is now a collector's item, and
pre-Vatican II daily missals are surprisingly rare. The mass-produced
booklets which nourished popular Christian piety were usually cheap and
perishable, and the more popular they were the more shabby they are likely
to have become and the less interesting to bookdealers and collectors. In
my own community there were once 40 copies of the 4-volume Breviarium
Carmelitanum in the chapel; no-one ever thought to put a copy in the
library because they were in daily use, but when they were superseded all
40 were eventually thrown out, and it was years before it was realised
none was left and a couple of surviving copies had to be searched out. All
the shabby dog-eared underlined coverless seminary textbooks were deleted
from the library years ago, and the crisp unread books left in their
undisturbed peace, suggesting a pattern of readership and influence that
never was.

Medieval authorities occasionally decreed the destruction of older
editions of texts when they were replaced with new versions (the attempt
to replace all earlier lives of St Francis with Bonaventure's is a famous
example), and a similar process often still happens. Librarians are
constantly "deselecting" books obscure to everyone but us. As John Donne
said (sort of), Never send to ask who tolls the bell, it is always
a barbarian who is at the gate.
--
Paul Chandler                       ||  Yarra Theological Union
[log in to unmask]   ||  Melbourne College of Divinity