>When I mentioned 'the second conversion of Europe', I was referring
>to a more than formal affiliation on the part of those who, for some
>generations, were already converted and already Christianized. It is
>this deeper, internalized sense of "conversion" (like the medieval idea
>of conversion to monasticism or "religio") to which I was referring.

Speaking of conversion: Akademie Verlag announces as forthcoming this
autumn Regine Birkmeyer (Univ. Stuttgart), _Ehetrennung und monastische
Konversion im Hochmittelalter_, 283 pp., ISBN 3-05-003264-2. According to
the blurb released by the publisher, conversion to monasticism and the
possible conflict with the insolubility (if this is the right word in
English, reminds me of instant coffee) of marriage is investigated in
sources of canon law and of episcopal and papal jurisdiction. In addition,
there are some case studies based on historiographic sources (vitae,
chronicles), and a tabellaric documentation of cases of conversion to
monasticism by married persons. See
http://www.oldenbourg.de/akademie-verlag/herbst98/ag6.htm

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
phone & fax: ++49 30 8516675, E-mail: [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner of Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/