Very little is known about William Wallace, in fact the only real
information we have about him is the horrific way in which he was
executed (very much the standard for the times). The story in the film
has some measure of accuracy but is for the most part a work of fantacy.
The costumes are for the most part accurate, the living conditions are
also well portrayed, the battle scenes are true to our understanding and
Edward I was the hard man he is portrayed as.  However, the events
portrayed in thefilm are for the most part very much a figment of the
script writers immagination.
 You are both right, the film does bear some resemblance to the times of
Wallace, but it is also true that the facts about wallace are too scant
to tell any kind of 'real' story.

Justin Hemsley.