From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 17:15:15 +0100
Subject: Rejected [non-member submission] Re: Saint Barbara
To: [log in to unmask]
Sender: [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] is not
a member or owner of the mining-history list

***
*** Sorry, only list members and owners may send mail to this list.
*** You can contact the list owners by sending mail to mining-history-request
***
As I remember when I worked in Austria St. Barbara statues were always found
in  mines and often even areas of the mine were named after her such as
Barbarastollen in the Mitterberg. (I believe the Germans follow the same
practice)
I think Barbara was the daughter of a fierce pagan and  lived in Asia Minor.
Because she was so beautiful he banished her to solitary confinement in a high
tower. She then converted to christianity and her won father chopped her head
off (I think... but I may be getting mixed up here as that sounds too brutal).
Anyway, her father then got struck down by God for either  chopping her head
off or ordering it.
I think St. Barbara is  the patron saint of those who may be struck down i.e.
unforeseen accidents etc. so miners were particularly keen to have her on their
side. (I also remember been told that soldiers are also fond of her. This was
by an Austrian so I presume he meant German soldiers during the last war. I
wonder whether St. Barbara is exclusively a Germanic thing, or whether miners
in Britain and elsewhere respect her)
I was always glad that my Ph.D. supervisor was  called Barbara (who was also
German); although never banished to a tower she was good at helping when you
had been struck down.

Gluck auf!
roger