Was playing Pound reading Usura to a class of the French yesterday, and
listening to him roll his "rr"s, partly, it seems, as an aid to timing.
Someone asked about this and I remarked how Pound seemed to have a bit of the
Yeats style in his reading -- not regarding the "rr"s I mean the general use
of taut intonation - and his British colleague Basil Bunting had, so to speak,
fallen on his rrs: that is, picked up a bit of Pound's reading habits in turn,
including something of the intonation and also that tendency to make the "r"
into a tiny duration effect.  So I imitated "Braag sweet tenorrr bull" for
them.

Rrrrric?

Not really a propos of signs (shurely a bit of Private Eye influence on our
list here, Ed?), I overheard someone in a cinema queue say once, "Errol Flynn?
He died in real life, you know."

Doug