Sometimes crap is just crap and one time is when it's delivered
gilt-wrapped. The Hughes is no more than the relaunch of a brand.
Plath-co had recently started, whilst maintaining market share, to look
a bit lustreless and investors could anticipate no further growth. As
for Hughes, it was in freefall (almost as drastic as Howard Hughes'
flying dynosaur). What we've seen is just like Microsoft coming to the
rescue of Apple - Hughes has finally agreed to reconnect with Plath and
both brands are live again; bestsellerdom! Plath-Co analysts respond to
Hughes profit forecasts! (see the Buffalo list...) Hughes goes
touchy-feely... And the stuff is just as thinly disgusting as you would
expect.

And what's wrong with autumn? Well, I remember autumns years ago - uh,
slippery rotting leaves and dogshit, greasy pavingstones, chipfat and
drizzle. This year I did see the one tree visible from my
air-conditioned office try on some different colourways. What's wrong
with 'autumn' is 'literature'. But of course, seasonal field labour does
remain an experience for many workers in fenland.