Martin Corless-Smith's collection OF PISCATOR has been published by
Georgia U.P. Unpriced. The t.p. says 'Athens & London' but there's no UK
address. isbn 0-8203-1947-3

MC-S is an Englishman who has worked in the US for some years & perhaps
the transAtlantic shift underwrites the quick-change dialect of these
poems - they ARE dialect poems of a kind, although they skate across a
variety of vernaculars; grammar fractures without undue force, fragments
of older written English float through. Quasi-folk-rhymes break up
narratives, the 'songs' seem ghosts of untold stories. The title
sequence formalises the multivocality by identifying speakers in the
manner of a play, introducing a disjointedness I feel uneasy with; there
is a more flowing transition from the opening Songs to the impressive
closing sequence To Absent Minister. Good balance between sound-control
and unruliness. I can't identify all the voices and prefer the mystery
of it anyway; but Clare keeps turning up (rhythms and textures of the
journals rather than the poems) and I heard David Jones now and then.
And nice to meet Mr Beddoes on page 16.
--
Alan Halsey