In message <v01530500b0e2a7c9b684@[194.112.56.161]>, Peter Riley
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>By the way, I notice everyone's very cagey and quote-marks-ridden when
>mentioning that concept, mainstream. I've only just joined this club. Has
>anyone at any time furnished any proof that it actually exists, this
>""mainstream""? I have severe doubts.

In a way Peter's analysis of 70s 'ghettoising' is itself the answer to
this question. I'd say the 'mainstream' as used in common parlance here
exists by default; exists because of 'our' clinging to the notion of
being 'avant-garde', as used in Simon's original letter and rightly
queried by Lawrence. It was that attachment of ours to 'being avant-
garde' which allowed Raine & Motion plc, backed by Poetry Review as
fanzine and with the promotion of various Irish poets as an early
instance of the kind of spurious political underwriting Keston points
out in the case of The Book of Demons, to co-opt a supposed middle
ground and advertise itself as a revamped 'mainstream'. Whereas I'd want
to regard myself & the poets I've admired during the last 20 years as
belonging to what is truly the mainstream; i.e. of a main stream which
flows out of early Anglo-American & French modernism; which has a or the
central place in the ars poetica of the 20th century. The term 'avant-
garde' lost any real usefulness circa 1920? The ineffectuality of the
terminology points to what I'd see as the main failure of 'our side'
from the 70s to the present, the failure to set up a critical/reviewing
forum in which the immense amount of poetry published could be seriously
discussed; at the same time as the toe-hold on mass-media reviewing was
lost; while others were busily setting up their I'd say somewhat
transparent credentials.
--
Alan Halsey