Peter: to whom are you addressing this? John and
Karlien were sarcastic about Hughes' making money
with mimimal risk to reputation with his timing
and people's memories and us passing the era when
any feminist analysis of writing seems to have
mattered. Otherwise, mine was the other post about
Hughes critical of him, and I didn't call him a
monster. But asked whether his writing showed him
take any *agency* in Plath's death; if to concede
as a fan (and I did praise his Laureate work, so
you can't place my post as kneejerk anti-"mainstream")
a little agency is to concede he is a "monster", then
no wonder he nor anyone else does; but I'm asking
that they/he concede a little agency and not be a
monster but not be the lamb his poem and his press
makes him be; light *and* dark, o tumbrils.

Ira

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:50:23 +0000 Peter Riley wrote:

> From: Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:50:23 +0000
> Subject: Autumnal Hues
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Re: Ted Hughes, evil capitalist monster.
>
> Ted Hughes is not an evil capitalist monster.
>

> I've never found that literature spoils autumn for me, if
anything it
> enhances it. Thomas Hardy was particularly good on the
subject and there
> was a Keatsperson.... not to mention Kawabata. It is
possible, if you come
> out of those smug little holes, to read, and possibly
create, literature as
> a thing that does good in the world. Autumnal freshness
would not be such a
> calming tone if literature didn't constantly balance the
hints of mortality