At 08/05/98 01:02:14, "Lawrence Upton." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
#  Roger Day wrote:
#  _Perelman, MacDonald, Lisa Jarnot weren't really my cup of tea -
Perelman
#  bored me_
#  How was he not your cup of tea? In what way did he bore you?
#  *

His reading was flat, distinterested. The gist of what he did get across
did not leave an impression. He wore a red-shirt that I didn't like.

#  _Roy Fisher was good: excellent poetry good projection._
#  it wld have been nice to hear why rd approved - I hope Roy wasnt left to
#  intro himself as he was in London by the VERY senior grate and the god
in
#  January

He wore a nice dark-blue jacket.

#  *
#  _Gig Ryan was brilliant_
#  in what sense? how? why?

I liked her leather jacket, the way she spoke, she made the poems
crackle...and she made me smile.

#  *
#  i wasnt in Cambridge because i couldnt afford it and you are telling me
#  NOTHING, Roger. I remember your _where in the universe?_ challenge to a
#  rushed svp advert of mine earlier this year - but there is no rush here

Poor Lawrence. Still smarting over that email?

#  *
#  _The latter three were charismatic performers who had something
excellent to
#  say, and said it well._
#  what was it then that they had to say?

Words, mostly. But nice bright ones, arranged in the right order, and
spoken so that I could understand them and the poems they sat in. They made
me feel as if I was at an event, rather than watch someone recite: they
engaged with me and made me happy. If you want detailed analysis, look at
the webpage.

More than that, and at this distance, I can't remember. Some of us have
jobs to do.

#  *
#  |The French woman I saw on the second day (Grangoud ?) might as well
have
#  |been reading a telephone directory...the French guy was extremely
funny, if
#  |a little fast.
#  Why? Why?

ur, because he read fast, and she was plain dull.

#  *
#  |I missed Keston Sutherland, which was a pity.
#  Why?

I would have liked to hear him read.

#  *
#  And then Roger Day wrote _Maybe not total rubbish - just mostly_

I gave up the will to live at this point.

#  *
#  Diana bless

May the Althorp go with you.

#
#  L
#                                    Visit the alp website at -
#     http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/7911
but only if you're really bored.

Roger