Why are photographs more threatening than language?

Are they?

Mapplethorpe Book Censorship info at:

http://www.uce.ac.uk/

messages of support for UCE web page:

mailto:[log in to unmask]

messages to the Minister:

mailto:[log in to unmask]

Of course, here it is the organ of the State (Police Force) rather than the
self-Established Guardian of Morals Mary Whitehouse that is bringing the
action.

This morning on BBC Radio Four Rabbi Lionel Blue discussed his 'affair'
with Christianity in terms of a homosexual relationship - breakfast
listening. But he is such a NICE man.... Established.

To what extent is/was Section 28 of the Local Government Act a (partial)
consequence of the Gay New conviction? (This is the section that prohibits
'promotion' of homosexuality.)

Can anyone explain to me (I am speaking ironically of course) why the
European Court has found the behaviour of a few men in their own bedrooms
with no financial transactions (ie  fully consenting) criminal, but has not
found the public displays for money of such Established performance artists
as Marina Abramovic, Jim Rose, Ron Athey, Chris Burden, Andre Stitt, Herman
Nitsch, Gina Pane, Franco B, Paul Buck, Viennese Actionists, Genesis P
Orridge, Cosy Fanny Tutti etc etc etc criminal? Not that I am suggesting
they should criminalise the latter, you understand!

Isn't the purpose of art to become coopted, Established?

Isn't the purpose of current 'cooption' capitalism to blandize difference?

Isn't the purpose of the media to make the medium the message/massage so
that anything appearing on the screen is merely somethingelse appearing on
the screen and therefore by extension make anything in the world (or out of
it) into merely somethingelse that could appear on the screen? Celebrate
difference. Difference Established. As different as Major and Blair. Same
side. Two co(i)ns.

Isn't the purpose of current (male) homosexual 'lifestyle' politics to blur
'difference' into consumerism (we're all pinky-dinkys (dual income no kids)
after all)? [The venom in that comment comes from fury at the corruption of
Gay Liberation Front ideas now being worn as fashion statements in Soho
bars. Is this what I fought for in the seventies?]