> This (dear Frans) is not yet my long promised posting on
> Augustine/Victorine/Thomistic views on "res ut signa", but only a brief
> remark followed by some additions. The brief remark: "Wiegendrucke"
> (Incunabula) is a term of dubious value, because the meaning is not based
> on significant historical changes in the history of early printings, but
> this meaning nevertheless is precise: the term refers to printings before
> 1500. This was the closing date for Hain's _Repertorium bibliographicum in
> quo libri omnes ab arte typographica inventa usque ad annum 1500
> recensentur_, and I suppose (although I cannot verify it at the moment)
> that it was also the closing date for the GKW. Both might nevertheless be

Dear Otfried, I stand corrected ! I knew there was some date that defined
"Wiegendruck", but I could not rememeber what it was.
My undergraduate lectures in "codicology and bookproduction after 1400"
made me decide to stick to the twelfth century, when all was parchment,
handwriting was still legible, and all was well.  :)

Frans van Liere

Department of History
College of Charleston               0 Bee Street
Charleston SC 29424		    Charleston SC 29403
tel. (803) 953-1354                 (803) 723-4051