From:           "E.M. TREHARNE" <[log in to unmask]>
To:             [log in to unmask]
Date sent:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 08:58:25 +0100 (BST)
Subject:        Re: Monks and Friars
Send reply to:  [log in to unmask]

Slightly off the central thread of this discussion somewhat, does
anyone know of any contemporary, and specifically twelfth-century,
evidence which demonstrates that Benedictine monks were engaged in
the pastoral care of the laity outside the monastery? Alternatively,
is there any evidence to suggest that monks might have been copying
manuscripts for secular clerics to use in their pastoral activities?

Thanks.

Elaine

Dr Elaine Treharne
Department of English
University of Leicester

There is some evidence for English monastic cathedrals (which were
Benedictine) having some involvement, e.g. where the cathedral had a burial
monopoly, as at Worcester. There is extensive evidence for the monks of
Worcester being interested in preaching to the laity in the eleventh century,
but that's a bit early for you.
Some of the evidence is outlined by Michael Franklin in his article in D.
Abulafia et al. ed. The Church and the City (I think that's the title - anyway
it's the Festschrift for C.N.L. Brooke, and it was published by CUP). I think
Franklin doesn't go far enough with the evidence - there is more to be said.
Gloucester Abbey also had a burial monopoly within the city of Gloucester,
though some parishes were exempt from it, and some other parishes became
exempt in the late middle ages. Chester Abbey also had extensive burial rights.
Cf my article in S. Bassett, ed. Death in Towns (Leicester 1992).
Obviously these rights woudn't necessarily bring monks into close contacts with
laypeople necessarily, because they could hire chaplains to perform services.

Julia Barrow
University of Nottingham