Dear co-mailers

I had recently the occasion to notice how widespread were representations of
Pope Urban V in votive images of the later Middle Ages, but I cannot yet
understand which were the original motivations of this cult. In a passage of
his Letters, Franco Sacchetti remembers Urban V as a new saint deserving an
overwhelming popular veneration. Was such a phenomenon due to the invention
of the heads of Sts Peter and Paul, or to the Pope's temporary restitution
of Pontifical dignity to Rome? I will appreciate every information on this
particular subject.
Thank you in advance

Michele Bacci
Scuola Normale Superiore