> * Machar or Mochumma, bishop (sixth century)
> - in the Aberdeen Martyrology, he is described as 'archbishop of
> Tours'; water from St Machar's well at Old Aberdeen used to be used
> for baptisms in the cathedral of Aberdeen

Not only is Aberdeen's mediaeval cathedral (interestingly, it is
still refered to as a cathedral, even though it has been Church of
Scotland since the reformation) named after St Machar, so is one of
the finest pubs in the world, conviently located just across the
street from King's College in Old Aberdeen. I still long for
Younger's No. 3 and hot stovies with an oatcake on a cold day like
today....

J. M. B. PORTER
Department of History : University of Nottingham
University Park : Nottingham : NG7 2RD : England
t: + 115 951 3639    f: + 115 951 5948