> One also thinks of King Wamba of Spain, who in 680 fell ill and was baptized
> in the expectation that he would die.  He however recovered, perciptating a
> constitutional crisis which had to be settled by a council, at which the
> bishops reaffirmed the Church's tradition that baptized persons could not
> wear the "militare cingulum,"  thus preventing Wamba from regaining the
> throne.  (See J.N.Hillgarth's introduction to vol. 115 of CCSL).

I happen to read this on the feast of St Martin of Tours.  Martin (c. 315 - 397) was converted and
baptised while in the army and immediately resigned his commission for the reason mentioned
here.  On being accused of cowardice, he offered to stand unarmed between the opposing lines
in the battle arranged for the next day.  Bill.