>  I am interested in references and specific citations in canon law, councils,
>ecclesiastical writings, and saints' lives that prohibit or discourage the use
>of extreme ascetic practices.

I hope this isn't stating the obvious, but the natural place to start would be
with the rule of St. Benedict. I would also look at the controversy regarding
the Franciscan "spirituals."

Phil Feller                                 me salutoe molto virtuosamente,
esp, Software Services                      tanto che me parve allora vedere
[log in to unmask]                            tutti li termini de la beatitudine
[log in to unmask]                           Dante, _Vita Nuova_ III, 1
http://www.skypoint.com/~pfeller