dear Malcolm Jones
there is perhaps a theological and theoretical question on whether "real
atheism" would escape classification as a heresy;  it would certainly be
considered an error.  There is a short article by Walter Wakefield that
deals with a few people who had quasi-atheist beliefs in france in the
thirteenth century,  drawn from the records of inquisition:
W.L.Wakefield "Some Unorthodox Popular Ideas of the Thirteenth Century",
Medievalia et Humanistica new series 4 (1973);  similarly,  work drawn
from the Fournier registers of the fourteenth century,  see G.de Llobet
"Variete des croyances populaires au Comte de Foix au debut du XIVe
siecle...",  Cahiers de Fanjeaux v.11 (Toulouse:  Privat,  1976).

There is also Susan Reynolds excellent article on scepticism in one of
the latest volumes of T.R.H.S. - i don't have the exact reference I'm afraid.

The inquisition registers are my area,  and there is in fact a good deal
more that can be said about belief,  unbelief and atheism;  all this will
have to wait until the thesis is completed [in a month? everybody please
cross their fingers for me!],  unless someone else pips me to the post...

cheers
john arnold

Centre for Medieval Studies
Kings Manor