dear Thomas
I haven't gone and looked recently,  but I thought that the canon says
something like "because physical illness is sometimes caused by sin,  you
should go to a priest before going to a doctor";  and I had also wondered
whether one reason for doing this might be to discourage people on their
death beds letting Cathar and Waldensian doctors near them (nb there are
many more Waldensian doctors than Cathar ones,  as far as we know).
Um ... i've also lost track of the discussion.
cheers
john arnold

Centre for Medieval Studies
Kings Manor