>I think it is also a characteristic of many 10th century lives (e.g. of German
>bishops) that they are praised for practising moderation within, so to speak,
>moderation.
>Julia Barrow

Hildegard of Bingen was one monastic who strongly advocated moderation over
extreme ascetic practices.  On several occasions she received letters from
monastic superiors who were considering leaving their communities in favour
of a solitary and more rigorous form of religious life, to which she
consistently urged them to follow moderation rather than an excessive
ascetic routine.  She explicitly warned a female recluse at the community of
Zwiefalten against the dangers of excessive fasting.  Her attitude may have
been informed through her own experience as a recluse with Jutta of Sponheim
at Disibodenberg: according to the depiction of Jutta in her Vita, the elder
woman was noted for her strictly ascetic spirituality.

Is this theme of moderation peculiar to a strand of German spirituality, or
is it drawn more generally from the Rule?

Julie Hotchin
Dept of History
Monash University