>>>* Theodard, bishop of Maastricht (670?)
>>>        - when held up by robbers in the forest of Bienwald, he made a long
>>>speech to them, to which they replied with a quotation from Horace before
>>>killing him
>>>

>>Does hagiography relate what this quotation was?  If not, perhaps we could
>>have a competition to suggest the most apposite line of Horace for an
>>educated brigand to invoke when about to kill a bishop...
>>
>>Seriously, I'd be very interested to know if any source supplies this detail.
>>
>>Steven Botterill
>>
>>Associate Professor and Chair
>>Department of Italian Studies
>>3335 Dwinelle Hall #2620
>>University of California
>>Berkeley, CA  94720-2620
>>U.S.A.
>
>Dear all,
>I don't know if it helps, and I may be dragging a red herring across the
>trail. Does the legend definitely state the quotation was from Horace? If
>the bishop was worth robbing, I can imagine a scene where the robbers
>quoted to him, ironically, the lines from Juvenal, Sat.x.20-22
>
>        Nocte iter ingressus gladium contumque timebis
>        et motae ad lunam trepidabis arundinis umbras:
>        cantabit vacuus coram latrone viator.
>
>This was taken up and used by Boethius *De Cons. Phil.* BkII pr.5 (though
>it's not certain how familiar people were with Boethius in c.670), from
>where later on it became a commonplace. Chaucerians who have joined the
>list may know it from Chaucer's *Boece*, and from the Wife of Bath's Tale
>ll.1193-4; it also appears in *Piers Plowman* (B version), Pass.14.305.
>
>G.L.Apperson, *The Wordsworth Dictionary of Proverbs*, s.v. SING, verb
>(p.573 my copy) lists a number of other references.
>
>Just a thought. But if someone *does* come up with an apposite quotation
>from Horace, I would be interested.
>
>Brian Donaghey
>
>Brian Donaghey - Dept of English Language & Linguistics - Ext 6291

Dear Steven,

If *I* were about to kill a bishop defending himself with long speeches, I
would chose maybe something like "quidquid praecipies, esto brevis" (Ars
poet. 335). Should I want to incite him to try a bit more effective
self-defence, I might say: "vellunt tibi barbam / lascivi pueri, quos tu
nisi fuste coerces, / urgueris turba circum te stante miserque / rumperis et
latras" (Sat. I.iii.133ss.). An eventual attempt to escape would be
countered by my words: "misere cupis (inquam) abire, / iamdudum video; sed
nil agis; usque tenebo" (Sat. I.ix.14s.), or maybe, if I am in a less
courteous mood: "quo tu, turpissime!" (ibd. 75). On the other hand, I might
want to offer him some consolation, like: "quid refert, morbo an furtis
pereasque rapinis" (Sat. II.iii.157, or almost), or "quid refert, uri virgis
ferroque necari" (Sat. II.vii.58), if I had decided that he should get some
beating first. And a good line to accompany the final stroke would be:
"accipe quod numquam reddas mihi" (Sat. II.iii.66). I only wonder why you
ever asked. Horace is full of appropriate verses to kill a bishop.

Yours,

  Otfried