If this email does not display correctly you can access it at  https://go.alt.ac.uk/Digest548

Weekly News Digest - Issue 548, 23 March 2020

Welcome to this week's news digest. In this edition:

  1. Updates for Members
  2. News, events, courses and Calls for Proposals
  3. Jobs
  4. New publications from #altc blog and Research in Learning Technology

1. Updates for Members

FEATURED - What ALT is doing to support Members during this crisis

We support our community during this crisis. Our members are under exceptional pressure as institutions plan and implement social distancing measures within learning and teaching. We are regularly updating support for the community page and linked resources, as well as running drop in sessions.. Our next weekly drop in session is on Thursday 26 March 2020 at 12.30pm.

Next submission deadline
5pm (UK time) Friday

Next publication date
Every Monday

Submit your news
via this form

Social media
Follow #altc for updates

#altc Blog
Read recent posts

Research in Learning Technology
Open Access - recent articles

#OER20 online programme open to all to participate

Following our announcement (13 March 2020) that as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic we have had to cancel the face to face element of the OER20 conference and deliver part of the event as an online conference instead, we are now inviting anyone interested in participating in the reduced online programme to register. Visit the registration page to sign-up.

Note: If you were registered for OER20 in London, you will automatically be registered for online activities. You do not need to register again.

Learning Technologist of the Year Awards 2020 - entries close on Wednesday

Entries for the Learning Technologist of the Year Award are still open, and close on 25 March 2020. We are taking entries from Individuals, Teams, and Research Projects. Read about the full judging line up and details on how to enter.

Annual Conference 2020 Call for Proposals extended to 2 April 2020

Our Call for Proposals for the Annual Conference 2020 has been extended, to support the submission of proposals from those ALT Members who were taking place in industrial strike action in February and March. The call is now open for submissions until 2 April 2020. Read more about the Annual Conference 2020 and how to submit your proposal.

Back to top

2. News, events, courses and calls for proposals

Courseware Glossary, drafted by Jisc - can you help to refine?

Following research into courseware purchasing within the UK, Jisc has determined that there is not as yet a common terminology. In conjunction with our teaching and learning colleagues and librarians, we have drafted a glossary. We would be grateful if any of your members could review and provide feedback before we publish. Please note link provided expires Friday 20th March, please contact me directly ([log in to unmask]) if you need a copy after this date. Thank you. https://go.alt.ac.uk/38V5fIT

International Conference on Visual Literacies and Visual Technologies for Teaching, Learning and Inclusion – 12th May 2020, Athens, Greece: Call for Abstracts

This conference explores how visual learning technologies (e.g. digital comics, video, virtual and augmented reality) can contribute to addressing challenges in teaching, learning and inclusion. The conference includes a workshop on comics for inclusive English language learning and showcases a new mobile app and open educational resources. You are invited to submit a 300-word abstract by 13th March to [log in to unmask]

Registration is FREE for all participants. Accommodation will be provided to participants from outside Greece (subject to approval on a first come, first served basis as numbers are limited). This conference is hosted by the CIELL consortium, co-funded by the ERASMUS+ Programme of the European Union. For further information see ciell.eu/conference or email [log in to unmask] https://go.alt.ac.uk/2HXablm

ALT West Midlands meeting: Accessible learning

Booking is now open for an ALT West Midlands regional group meeting at the University of Warwick on Monday 27th April 2020. Join us and share how your institutions are designing more accessible learning environments and resources.

The meeting will be held in the Experimental Teaching Space at University of Warwick and hosted by Kerry Pinny (Senior Academic Technologist).

To contribute a proposal, contact John ([log in to unmask]) or Libby Symonds ([log in to unmask]). https://go.alt.ac.uk/2vSjOyM

Back to top

3. Jobs

Jisc - Senior consultant – data and digital capability

Data and digital capability
Ref: n/a
from £42,000 per annum when working full time (35 hours a week)
Full time, (Secondment from HE can be considered for 1 to 2 years)
Closing date: 03 April 2020
Informal enquiries to [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2xIz3eP

Back to top

4. New publications from #altc blog and Research in Learning Technology

#ALTC Blog

Research in Learning Technology

  • NEW - Learner skills in open virtual mobility
    Kamakshi Rajagopal, Olga Firssova, Ilse Op de Beeck, Elke Van der Stappen, Slavi Stoyanov, Piet Henderikx, Ilona Buchem - https://go.alt.ac.uk/2UAKIEq
  • NEW - The seven principles of online learning: Feedback from faculty and alumni on its importance for teaching and learning
    Cynthia Janet Tanis - https://go.alt.ac.uk/3bpL7Al
  • Examining educational technology and research impact: the two roles of e-learning and related terms in the 2014 REF impact case studies
    Katy Jordan - https://go.alt.ac.uk/3cNuaRH
  • Becoming an open educator: towards an open threshold framework
    Gemma Tur, Leo Havemann, Dawn Marsh, Jeffrey M. Keefer, Fabio Nascimbeni - https://go.alt.ac.uk/2IAE0Zi
  • A Framework for Mixed Reality Free-Choice, Self-Determined Learning
    Claudio Aguayo, Chris Eames, Thomas Cochrane - https://go.alt.ac.uk/2vZJoSZ

Back to top

The ALT News Digest is published on Mondays. Deadline for submissions 5pm Friday. Submit your items via https://www.alt.ac.uk/news/alt-news-digest

---

Disclaimer. Reasonable care is taken to ensure that the ALT Digest is accurate. But ALT does not vouch for the accuracy of information provided on websites to which the digest links, and opinions expressed on those sites should not be construed to be those of ALT.

######################################################################## -- An announcements list for members of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT). To switch ALT-ANNOUNCE to receive output from the list in digest form, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message set ALT-ANNOUNCE digest in the body of the email. To unsubscribe to ALT-ANNOUNCE, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message leave ALT-ANNOUNCE, in the body of the email. --